Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

E-mail.... Sample of right and wrong on writing email....

Write meaningful subject line.

Recipients scan the subject line in order to decide whether to open, forward, file, or trash a message. Remember -- your message is not the only one in your recipient's mailbox. Before you hit "send," take a moment to write a subject line that accurately describes the content.

No Subject: [Blank]
No Subject: "Important! Read Immediately!!"
No Subject: "Quick question."
Maybe Subject: "Follow-up about Friday"
Maybe Subject: "That file you requested."
Yes Subject: "10 confirmed for Friday... will we need a   larger room?




 Focus on a clear message, helping the reader to prioritize.

No Subject: Denver trip report.
----
When I arrived at the Denver meeting, Bill and Wilma were already there, though I don't think Frank knew about the staff change. The first report went well, even though Christina was off her form, and the questions were a little off-the wall. [More and more details, working chronologically through the event.] So by the end of the afternoon, I was really wondering whether whole pitch is off. Maybe we should focus as much on the environmental benefits as the social ones. Let me know if you want me to pull some figures for you -- I think you'll like it. The evening session was more of the same, though by this time...

MaybeSubject: New pitch idea from Denver: focus on environmental benefits?
-----
I had an idea while I was in Denver. Christina got some unexpected questions about the environment. Do you want me to pull some figures so we can consider revising the pitch to emphasize the environmental impact?
When I first got to Denver, Bill and Wilma were already there, though I don't think Frank knew about the staff change...

YesSubject: New pitch idea from Denver: focus on environmental benefits?
-----
Question about New Pitch
I had an idea while I was in Denver. This message includes my full report, but I wanted to start off by noting that Christina got some unexpected questions about the environment. Do you want me to pull some figures so we can consider revising the pitch to emphasize the environmental impact?
Trip Report
When I first got to Denver, Bill and Wilma were already there, though I don't think Frank knew about the staff change...

 Avoid attachments.

NoTo: All 1000 Employees
From: Eager Edgar
Subject: A helpful book everyone should read
--------
Hello, everyone. I've attached a PDF that I think you'll all find very useful. This is the third time I sent it the file -- the version I sent yesterday had a typo on page 207, so I've sent the whole thing again. Since some of you noted that the large file size makes it a bit awkward, I've also attached each chapter as a separate document. Let me know what you think!

Attachments:
  • Big Honking File.pdf (356MB)
  • BHF Cover.pdf (25MB)
  • BHF Chapter 1.pdf (35MB)
  • BHF Chapter 2.pdf (27MB)
  • [... ]

YesTo: Bessie Professional
From: Morris Ponsybil
Subject: E-mail tips -- a subject for an office workshop?
--------
Bessie, I came across a book that has lots of tips on streamlining professional communications. Has anyone volunteered to present at the office workshop next month? Let me know if you'd like me to run a little seminar (20 minutes?) on using e-mail effectively.
Below, I'll paste the table of contents from the book. Let me know if you want me send you the whole thing as a PDF.
Table of Contents
  1. Write a meaningful subject line.
  2. Keep the message focused and readable. 
  3. Avoid attachments. 
  4. [...]

Be kind. Don't flame.

No @!$% &*@!! &(*!

YesFrom: Clair Haddad
To: Ann O. Ying
Subject: Re: Ongoing Problems with Project
I'm not sure how to respond, since at the meeting last week you told Sue that you didn't need any extra training, so I canceled Wednesday's workshop. I can CC Sue in on this thread if you like, since she's the one who will have to approve the budget if we reschedule it.
Meanwhile, I can loan you my copies of the manual, or we can look into shifting the work to someone else. Let me know what you'd like me to do next.
---Original Message --
From: Ann O. Ying
I tried all morning to get in touch with you. Couldn't you find a few minutes in between meetings to check your messages? I'm having a rough time on this project, and I'm sorry if this is last-minute, but I've never done this before and I think the least you could do is take some time to explain it again.










1 comment:

  1. This material was copied, without permission or citation, from a page on my website. http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/e-text/email/

    ReplyDelete